Friday, April 29, 2016

Patience

Perhaps you are writing a paper for class while listening to your iPod, checking Facebook and fending off annoying complaints from your mother, who is asking if you’re concentrating on the paper that’s due tomorrow. You have it under control until you try to access a website recommended by a friend on Facebook, and your Internet access decides to take its own sweet time.

David in Psalms 13 complains: “How long, O LORD? Will you forget me forever? How long will you hide Your face from me?” (Psalms 13:1). We are not King David, and downloads are not matters of life and death.

Yet in our impatience, we feel persecuted: “How long must I wrestle with my thoughts and every day have sorrow in my heart? How long will my enemy triumph over me?” (Psalms 13:2).

As Christians, we can pray bold prayers as David did: “Look on me and answer, O LORD my God. Give light to my eyes, or I will sleep in death; my enemy will say, ‘I have overcome him,’ and my foes will rejoice when I fall” (Psalms 13:3-4).

However, we tend not to pray, but to complain. If this paper weren’t due tomorrow; if this computer would work like it’s supposed to; if Mom wouldn’t nag; if I could land a job; if he/she would just like me; if I were more like them...

David prayed a prayer of faith, and he learned patience: “But I trust in Your unfailing love; my heart rejoices in Your salvation. I will sing to the LORD, for He has been good to me” (Psalms 13:5-6). David trusted in the Lord before he saw answers to his prayers.

I recognize that I am impatient, expecting the Lord to hand me answers to my prayers on my schedule. We expect life at our pace, but the Lord is not in a hurry.

How do I react when a website does not download quickly?

Am I annoyed at my mother for nagging me about homework?

When annoyed, do I pray with faith as David did?

Can I trust the Lord to answer my prayers?

Could I be more patient than I am?


No comments:

Post a Comment